Washington University of St. Louis Senior Director of Prospect Research, Business Intelligence Unit - University Advancement - 48745 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Business Intelligence Unit - University Advancement. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
The Senior Director of Prospect Research is a member of the University Advancement Business Intelligence Unit, which is comprised of three key functional areas: analytics, research and prospect management. The senior director will manage the prospect research program and work collaboratively with the Senior Director of Prospect Management and the Senior Director of Data Analytics. The senior director will oversee all prospect research resources, methodologies, and processes for identifying and qualifying prospects, in order to guide the identification of new prospects that are likely to support the philanthropic priorities and strategic plan of the institution. This position will report to the Assistant Vice Chancellor, Business Intelligence, and will play a key role in reorganizing legacy business processes in line with University Advancement strategic initiatives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with data analytics to develop and implement prospecting plans.
- Develop prospect research vision and structure including tools and research products that support gift officer work and fundraising objectives; design and implement a qualification rating process for determining if financial capacity is present; and build a gift capacity formula for evaluating a prospect’s gift potential.
- Work in close partnership with data analysts, prospect management liaisons, and gift officers to assure that their portfolios have the best prospects for achieving fundraising objectives.
- Provide all levels of research to identify top prospects to move into a fundraiser portfolio including wealth, capacity and potential areas of interest, as well as higher levels of research, research specializations and subject matter experts to support the work of frontline fundraisers and to provide research products that inform prospect development and strategy including in-depth analysis of research information and solicitation strategies.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and new technologies.
- Work collaboratively as a partner with Schools/Units and University/University Advancement leaders to provide highly customized and strategic counsel to build relationships. Ensure that the department provides a high level of service to all relevant stakeholders.
- Monitor fundraising activity/progress for continuity and compliance with the Prospect Management Guidelines.
- Liaise with data analytics and prospect management team members to share information about managed prospects to build an understanding of fundraising metrics and to provide the information that supports the management of prospects through the development cycle.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage program staff. Develop, implement and train staff on standard methodologies for researching individual, corporate and foundation prospects and donors using standard industry resources.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least seven years of experience as a prospect researcher, with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Supervisory experience or experience providing work direction.
- Excellent knowledge of prospect research, preferably in higher education.
- Knowledge of standard industry resources such as WealthEngine, Lexis-Nexis, Prospect Research Online, and Dun & Bradstreet, and proficiency with all MS Office products.
- Demonstrated advanced-level understanding of the prospect research domain of the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (Apra).
- Well-organized with exceptional attention to detail and follow through.
- High degree of competency in writing and interpersonal communications.
- Seven to ten years of prospect research experience, preferably within a complex university.
- Master’s degree preferred.
Base pay commensurate with experience.
To learn more about careers in University Advancement please visit http://alumni.wustl.edu/ContactUs/Career_Opportunities/.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Senior Director of Prospect Research, Business Intelligence Unit - University Advancement - 48745
Job ID: 48745
Location: Alumni & Development Programs
Full/Part Time: Full-Time