Washington University of St. Louis Network Systems Administrator - Washington University IT - 50137 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Washington University IT. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
Responsible for the administration of network and server infrastructure. Includes monitoring, moves, adds, changes, incident and service request resolution of the university network and system infrastructure. Serve as an escalation point for system operations center (SOC) staff, software and hardware maintenance, and repair.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Configuration, installation, and repair of infrastructure components:
- Monitor networks and systems.
- Access networks and systems to identify and resolve incidents.
- Have initiative to make and/or suggest improvements or innovations.
- Maintain and update monitoring infrastructure and automation tools.
- Handle infrastructure and system alerts, appropriate action to classify, prioritize and resolve complex network and system issues.
- Provide effective communication of incident status and technical issues to stakeholders.
- Maintain, monitor and problem resolution:
- Collaborate with IT staff for requirement gathering, cross-functional tasks and incidents.
- Handle customer service requests in a helpful, professional manner.
- Receive phone, email and ticket requests for services or troubles. Act as a primary escalation point for complex network and systems issues.
- Utilize service management system to document incidents, progress, and resolution.
- Communicate project/issue status with customers and stakeholders.
- Documentation and reporting:
- Perform and document moves, adds or changes in change management system.
- Suggest design and audit to appropriate teams and update documentation.
- Identify, label and report on installed infrastructure.
- Maintain and update network and system drawings in service management.
- Make approved changes through proper change management procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Technical school graduate with two or more years of network and server experience, or high school diploma or equivalent high school certification with four or more years of network and server experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Four or more years of networking and system experience.
- Higher education experience.
- Knowledge and experience configuring and troubleshooting Cisco IOS.
- Knowledge and experience installing and maintaining VMware infrastructure.
- Knowledge of Linux and Mac OSX operating systems.
- Knowledge of currently supported Windows Server OS.
- Knowledge of SAN and backup technologies.
- Ability to resolve complex technical problems and projects.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Working knowledge of documentation standards.
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Python, Perl, command line, Power Shell).
- Ability to adjust work schedule time for maintenance windows.
- Aptitude for patience, professionalism, tactfulness, and empathy.
- Ability to assess the needs of the customer and able to communicate these appropriately.
- Ability to communicate with clients and team members with written and spoken word.
The hiring range for this position is $23.07 - $29.42 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Network Systems Administrator - Washington University IT - 50137
Job ID: 50137
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time