Washington University of St. Louis Limited) in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. This is a time-limited position of up to one year.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of WashU IT - End User Services. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
Under general supervision, responsible for the administration and support of server software and storage systems that host the business activities of the University. This position entails complex support activities which include recommendations for the acquisition of hardware and software resources, installation and configuration of hardware and software, and deployment of operating system updates and security updates. Analyzes and resolves error conditions and performance and security issues, and ensures user satisfaction by providing preventative maintenance, analysis of system requirements and existing business processes, and troubleshooting and quick resolution of problems. This position will act as team leader to quickly resolve end user and device IT related problems.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish standards and develop procedures for installation and implementation of new hardware and software systems deployed by EUS. Responsible for quality assurance of installations and deployments performed by others. Update standards and procedures to conform to new technology requirements and develop automated procedures where appropriate.
- Coordinate with Application Development teams to migrate application to new server systems. Assist with installation of vendor software used by EUS Application Development teams. Coordinate with Tier 1 and Tier 2 teams to update inventory, backups, and monitoring of new systems. Document network traffic flow/requirements and create network deployment diagram for new applications.
- Plan and execute projects to update core (Windows/MAC/Linux) software. Review vendor documentation, analyze deployment options, determine applicability to WU environment, create implementation plan, review plan with team, schedule, implement, and test.
- Respond to problem alerts (24/7), diagnose problems (may include vendor contact), create plans to correct problems, review action plans with management for approval, initiate repairs, and, if needed, coordinate with vendor and external IT groups (BJC, Departmental, partner organizations, etc).
- Server software administration, printer queue creation, network share and folder security setup. Domain administration-user account provisioning, group policy object creation/modification- based on requirements, design and document and test group security model used by systems team. Design, build, support and manage the automated systems used by End User Services.
- Provide direction and leadership to junior staff as required to complete tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor degree in a technical discipline or equivalent technical education *plus *3 years of experience in an IT organization supporting Microsoft Windows (desktop or server) operating systems and network protocols, or equivalent combination of education & experience.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline
- Experience coordinating technology implementations in an enterprise IT environment
- Experience as a technical team leader
- Experience with storage area networks
- High level Active Directory proficiency including Group Policy management
- Azure Automation and Service Management Automation is a plus
- Experience supporting System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
- Ability to adapt quickly and learn various IT environments simultaneously
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Acumen for developing strategic technical plans
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues
- Ability to adjust to changes in priorities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision with a high degree of accuracy
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent language and people skills
- Must be flexible and willing to work extended hours as necessary and recognize the need to do so
- Ability to adjust scheduled time
The hiring range for this position is $55,370 - $71,968 annually.
Offers made for this position are contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment screens, including a criminal background check, hair sample drug screen, and verification of required professional licenses, registrations, or certifications.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Human Resources website (hr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Desktop Engineer II (Time-Limited) - WashU IT - End User Services - 41106
Job ID: 41106
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time