Washington University of St. Louis Business Analyst II - Washington University Information Technology - 49582 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Washington University Information Technology. This position is for the Danforth Campus.
Evaluates business systems and how they align with user needs. Performs tasks to achieve an understanding of business change needs, assessing the impact of those changes, capturing, analyzing, documenting and managing requirements for assigned projects, and then supporting the communication and delivery of those requirements with relevant parties.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares business cases working with university partners and senior IT staff.
- Works with Project Manager to plan approach to requirements elicitation and methods for requirements management and communication.
- Ensures business opportunities and objectives are clearly articulated.
- Plans modeling techniques to be used in requirements analysis (scope, process, rule, data, interface models, etc.).
- Works with Project Manager to plans validation of requirements in managing project scope, user acceptance, installation and deployment; helps determine metrics.
- Performs feasibility analysis as required for projects.
- Coordinates planning activities to meet objectives and timelines of overall program or project; works with Project Manager to forecast required time and resources.
- Analysis, Design, Execution:
- Implements strategies for gathering, reviewing and analyzing data requirements.
- Performs requirements elicitation using techniques per plan.
- Documents requirements, establishes scope and objectives and determines strategy for evaluating requirements implementation in systems to achieve business goals.
- Performs current state analysis and/or root cause analysis as required.
- Prioritizes requirements working with university partners and creates conceptual prototypes and mock-ups.
- Organizes requirements by release and other needed categories and sets up traceability matrix; articulates requirements relationships and dependencies.
- Translates and simplifies requirements for appropriate use; performs gap analysis.
- Performs requirements management and communication; apply best practices for effective communication and problem-solving.
- Works with project management to obtain requirements approvals per project plan; facilitates go/no go decisions.
- Validates requirements throughout process per plan.
- Uses requirements to drive the design or review of test cases, process change requests.
- Provides consulting to all stakeholders regarding requirements management working with Project Management.
- Builds knowledge of the organization’s technology infrastructure and specific software applications to help the business address changes through technology.
- Will take on assignments for small to medium projects, and others as assigned.
- Helps monitors the technical team solution to ensure requirements fulfillment and solution evaluation.
- Leads and coordinates activities associated with requirements management vehicles.
- Coordinates activities with other business analysts.
- Enables process improvement and/or reengineering.
- Participates in recommending and implementing continuous improvement plans for business analysis.
- Develops requirements adoption metrics and other methods of evaluating the long-term performance of the solution.
- Reviews and monitors the effectiveness of business analysis via test results.
- Provides status reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or comparable discipline, or an equivalent combination of experience, certification and education.
- Two years of relevant experience analyzing business processes and data.
- Familiar with IIBA Guide to the business Analysis Body of Knowledge.
- Business education.
- ITIL framework and IT product methodologies.
- Familiarity with testing techniques and software.
- Prior experience in higher education environments a plus.
- Prior experience with SQL, JIRA Ticketing System, and ServiceNow.
- Team Skills: Ability to support teammates at all times and in any way necessary to maintain a productive, energetic, efficient and dynamic WashU IT team. Ability to communicate effectively and frequently both verbally and in writing with other members of the team. Ability to collaborate with other teammates to provide assistance, and expertise, as well as to receive expert input and assistance from others delivering the best solution and experience for the customer.
- Customer Service: Possess an aptitude for patience, professionalism, tactfulness and empathy. Enthusiastic and committed to helping others and exhibit the ability to quickly assess the specific needs of the customer to determine an appropriate course of action. Ability to quickly defuse stressful or anxious situations.
- Business acumen coupled with technical knowledge.
- Experience working on technology and application development projects including developing technical requirements.
- Strong listening skills.
- Strong research skills with attention to detail.
- Experience developing functional and non-functional requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including technical writing skills; consultative approach.
- Ability to conduct cost/benefit analysis and business case development.
- Recognized within the organization as demonstrating knowledge in business analysis methods and modeling techniques.
- Experience working closely with team members during solution development and product launch.
- Experience developing use cases.
- Experience developing data and process flows.
- Ability to work proactively with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and independent problem solving skills.
- Ability to contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of a highly-functioning and productive team.
- Proven ability to provide business analysis for project teams to meet customer expectations.
- Demonstrated understanding of business analyst tools and techniques.
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office and Visio tools.
The hiring range for this position is $56,472 - $73,403 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
- The work is normally performed in the offices located across campus.
- There will be activities that require trips to many University offices and offsite locations.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Business Analyst II - Washington University Information Technology - 49582
Job ID: 49582
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time