MasterCard Principal, Software Development Engineer in O'Fallon, Missouri
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Principal, Software Development Engineer
This position is for a Principal Software Development Engineer on the Architecture and Technology Governance team. This team is responsible for mechanisms to review existing and proposed designs to verify compliance with Mastercard Engineering Principles and other technology policies. Additional team responsibilities include Incident Engineering Reviews, Blameless Incident Postmortems, collaborative software engineering/system architecture peer reviews, and maintaining various technology policy documents surrounding software development and architecture.
• Be a spokesperson to help shape technical designs and future direction for designated technologies and business domains with an emphasis on application architecture, cloud native patterns, and infrastructure.
• Develop, promote, and validate the company's target architecture to support and enable business strategies.
• Lead technical deep-dive discussions (Incident Engineering Reviews) on incidents and apply the “5 Whys” technique to help identify true incident root cause while coaching Program teams to scale this technique.
• Evangelize global learning opportunities from Incident Engineering Reviews and partner with teams across the organization to improve resiliency.
• Lead assessments on new and existing services to verify internal technology policies are being followed while working closely with the Risk Management organization.
• Create mechanisms to scale assessments and track compliance across the entire organization.
• Create technical documentation, reports, white papers, etc. for a diverse audience including peers and executive management.
• Own, enhance, and deeply understand policy documents and standards covering Service Quality Lifecycle Standards, Software Development Lifecycle, and Engineering Principles.
• Partner with delivery teams across the organization to enable up-front policy adherence.
• Proactively build relationships with technical peers and management across the organization.
• Technical leadership experience in architecture, development, testing, and operations with knowledge across multiple technology stacks.
• Proficiency with cloud technologies (IaaS, PaaS, serverless, etc.), micro-service design, CI/CD, and DevOps.
• Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) with the ability to get your point across efficiently to a wide range of audiences including peers and executives.
• Experience designing scalable, fault tolerant platforms that are resilient to infrastructure failures.
• Experience defining QA standards, processes, tools and methodologies.
• Regularly lead retrospection and continually improve as a result.
• Enjoys diving deep to understand platform capabilities and underlying technologies.
• Strong collaborative and organizational skills valuing transparency over avoiding scrutiny.
• Experience with how high-performance, high-reliability, large-scale distributed systems are built and operated.
• Strong analytical and excellent problem-solving skills.
• Ability to operate with independence and autonomy.
• Ability to build relationships by partnering with and influencing dependent teams while commanding the respect of the individuals you work with across the organization.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Requisition ID: R-118602