Cardinal Health Senior Engineer R&D (Sr Innovation Engineer) in Hazelwood, Missouri
What R & D Engineering contributes to Cardinal Health
Research and Development Engineering is responsible for developing and implementing new products through adherence to established design control processes and good engineering and documentation practices.
This position will be part of a newly formed Innovation Team working at a strategic level to initiate and carry projects from idea to initial concept, viable for commercialization and ready for further development. A focus on customer needs, emerging technology, and ongoing research will be key to success in this role. The team builds concepts and creates interest in projects to be handed-off to execution teams to complete and commercialize. The Innovation team operates as a consultant ‘service organization’ and is separate from execution teams. Although, from time to time, Innovation team members may also be embedded as an extended (consulting) group member in ongoing projects to ensure the voice of stakeholders (VOC, Mktg, users, etc.) and innovation objectives are preserved throughout the development process.
This unique role will require the wearing of many hats, from researcher and inventor to project manager, and technology expert, consulting Engineer, and to innovation educator. Innovation is at the core of this team and an insatiable curiosity and innovation mindset will be key to success in this role. This will require comfort with ambiguity, increased risk, and the potential of failure, but most importantly it will require an ability to uncover, frame, and solve problems not yet fully formed or understood.
- Project, Technical, and Innovation Leadership
- Championing a human-centered, entrepreneurial approach to strategic innovation initiatives
- Develop original content, frameworks, concepts, and visions to design and shape initial product concepts
- Manage assigned projects to established time lines and generate/maintain project status
- Research and investigation into new & emerging technologies for various product categories
- Coordinate and lead multi-departmental teams to manage innovation activities
- Combine empathy, creative instinct and business savvy to challenge existing assumptions & status quo
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams of researchers, engineers, and business partners throughout bespoke innovation engagements
- Continually monitor and share emergent, disruptive trends in strategy, technology, and business for select, assigned product categories
- Concept Development & Product Design to develop solutions to undefined technical problems
- Facilitation of product transfer to execution teams
- ·Travel to Support & Drive Projects
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience in related field preferred
- A minimum of 2+ years related work experience preferred
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
What is expected of you and others at this level
- Applies working knowledge in the application of concepts, principles, and technical capabilities to perform varied tasks
- Works on projects of moderate scope and complexity
- Identifies possible solutions to a variety of technical problems and takes actions to resolve
- Applies judgment within defined parameters
- Receives general guidance may receive more detailed instruction on new projects
- Work reviewed for sound reasoning and accuracy
- Must have Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-driven and motivated to work independently
- Tinkerer, inventor, and/or enjoys hobbies that require creative exploration
- Experience conducting primary and secondary technology research
- Works effectively and collaborates seamlessly in a matrix environment
- The ambidexterity to thrive as a generalist
- Knowledge of Medical Device industry
- Knowledge of Stage Gate product development process preferred
- Required knowledge of 3-D CAD
- Knowledge of digital development platforms (Raspberry Pi, etc.) is a Plus
- Experience with Plastics Injection Molding/Extrusion Designs
- Manufacturing and Patent Experience is a plus
Your safety is our top priority. We regularly consult with medical professionals on best practices in COVID-19 prevention to protect our employees. We train our employees on these best practices and regularly clean our sites in accordance with CDC guidelines. Please note: All individuals entering our facilities are required to complete a self-health check, wear a mask and follow all posted guidelines.
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, creed, status with regard to public assistance, genetic status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
To read and review this privacy notice click here (https://www.cardinalhealth.com/content/dam/corp/email/documents/corp/cardinal-health-online-application-privacy-policy.pdf)
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.